A one-day course for anyone going to sea, providing an understanding of how to use the safety equipment on board your boat.
A genuine lifesaver
Cruising is one of the safest leisure sporting activities, and 99.9% of those afloat will never use their liferaft. However, if you are part of the unlucky 0.1% your chances of survival will be greatly increased if you understand how to use the equipment and how to help yourself.
It is a well-proven fact that, in the event of an emergency at sea, people with training are more likely to survive.
An important part of the course is a practical session in a swimming pool. Experience first hand the problems of entering an uncooperative liferaft and assisting others while fully kitted out in wet weather gear and a lifejacket.
Course topics include:
- liferafts and the equipment they contain
- survival techniques
- the design of lifejackets
- medical aspects of sea survival
- search and rescue techniques
- The RYA Basic Sea Survival Course Completion certificate is awarded on satisfactory completion of the course.
- You will need old clothing like a tracksuit etc (not jeans) to wear in the water, and a towel. You may bring your own waterproofs and footwear, but these must be clean.
- If you have your own lifejacket then this might be a good time to test it. Re-arming kits can be purchased in the Andark shop.
- The course is classroom and pool based requiring a degree physical ability, please contact us with any questions. We have our own swimming pool on site.
- Course notes
- Tea and Coffee
- Biscuits (if we’ve left any!)
9th June – 7 available spaces
|Friday 9th June (With ISAF on Thursday 8th June)|
|Thursday 20th July (With ISAF on Friday 21st July)|
£107 per person.
How is the course run?
- All courses run from 9am to 5:30pm (approximately)
- Courses require a minimum of 4 and maximum of 16 people per instructor, and can either take place on the dates in the course calendar, or at other times by arrangement, subject to availability of instructor and pool. Personal tuition is available at a cost equivalent to 4 people.
- Andark supports equal opportunities, and if you have any special requirements, please contact us.
How to book
Booking a course with Andark couldn’t be more straight forward, there are three simple steps to follow:
- Phone us to check the availibility of the course that you have chosen, and the dates you wish to attend.
- Download and complete the booking form, and return to us by post or email.
Please click on the icons on the right to download a PDF copy of our booking and medical declaration forms.